Sunday, February 14, 2010

Top Luxury Cars - The New Volvo C30

This week I officially turned into a grumpy old man. Walking through town on my lunch break I was constantly surrounded by over excitable children, getting more rambunctious by the second thanks to an inordinate amount of e colorings in their bags of sweets. "Why aren't you in school?" I screamed to myself, before the realization that it was summer holiday time again hit me like a punch in the face. Then I remembered that if it was summer holiday time, it meant school reports had just been issued by their teachers who most probably drive used beige Volvos and wear corduroy trousers.

Therefore they had good reason to go crazy. If they are anything like I was, the lead up to the end of year school report was so nerve wracking I'd swear every year I'd developed Parkinson's disease overnight. I'd often stare in the mirror and vow to try harder next year. I'd even beg the teachers to go easy, promising all manner of riches I could never really lay claim to. The fear and anticipation was often far worse than the reality, but as a chatty child who was constantly being sent out of class for distracting others, there was always mention that "if Mark applied himself he could be a high achiever".

Obviously it could have been far worse: "Mark really should stop beating his teachers around the face" or, "Mark claims not to have burnt down the school, but the can of petrol in his bag says otherwise", but being an only child, anything less than perfect wasn't worth reading by my parents. My defense is that in many subjects I really wasn't interested in learning information I knew I'd never use in later life and therefore not learning the subject seemed a far more attractive proposition.

I think everyone is guilty of this. If you don't have a natural flair for something, or fail to enjoy an activity immensely, you'll spend as little time on the subject as possible. That is why I spent roughly two months on my art project and five minutes revising French. I can think of no better example of the correlation of being interested in something and therefore being good at it than driving.


I am yet to see a man who chats about the torque steer at 4,000rpm in his Lancer Evolution X reverse into a shopping trolley. Nor have I seen a girl racer in a heavily modified and much loved Honda Civic plow through the central reservation on a motorway. The reason is that these drivers love being behind the wheel, take great pride in choosing what car gets them from a to b, and throw boring things like fuel economy and practicality out the window.

Compare this to drivers of cheap and/or unstylish cars. How often do you see Kias, Protons and Chevrolets (formally Daewoo of course) in hedges, with gears crunching and more dents than a boxer's forehead? Often is my answer and it's because the drivers have no interest in cars and are therefore rubbish at driving, just like me and the French language.

Historically, Volvos have always been driven by the inept. Despite no styling whatsoever, old Volvos were so safe in a crash that all the rubbish drivers bought one so they knew they'd be OK when the inevitable happened. Yet something has happened in Stockholm. They've made a Volvo that is quite simply stunning to look at - the C30.

The Swedish firm have somehow managed to combine traditional traits like the rectangular front grill and long bonnet with a bonkers rear end that oozes Italian flair and a side profile that looks aggressive and unlike anything Volvo has done previously. It's not all show and no go however. To drive the C30 holds the road ably and provides plenty of feedback through the steering wheel. Engine choices vary, with the top-of-the-range one being the six-speed, 2.5 liter 220 PS turbo T5, which will propel you from standing to 60mph in just 6.3 seconds. It'll roar onto 150mph too.

Where Volvo has been sensible however is their pricing of the C30. The headlining T5 mentioned above is £21,495, however the most popular is likely to be the 1.6 litre petrol version which starts from just £14,750. The car has been on sale for nearly two years so used Volvos should start to appear on forecourts. It's too early to tell the rate of depreciation, but I reckon and will be mouth-wateringly tempting to give the Swede a chance.
Buying the New Volvo C30 will scream to the world one thing - you're not a rubbish driver.
PJ Ridgard is a writer and a car enthusiast. Here he talks about the New Volvo range.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=P_J_Ridgard

0 comments:

Post a Comment